Thursday 6 August 2015

A Walk Down Memory Lane


A short stint outside Singapore can make one realise how lucky we are to be born here in our little red dot of an island.  Racial harmony, no strikes that causes the world to come to a standstill, clean water for drinking, a trustworthy currency and many more little things that I didn't use to value as much previously...

Those who are born in the same era as me will probably share similar memories of the past National Day Parade ("NDP") songs.  Having attended a friend's baptism earlier this week and humming along to the hymns that were sung, it proved how songs can evoke such powerful emotions in a person.  So here's sharing some of the more memorable local tunes!

NDP 1998 - Home
"This is where I won't be alone... For this is where I know it's home"

The all familiar tune composed by Dick Lee and sung by Kit Chan that nearly every Singaporean knows... It is easily the best NDP song to-date!  A song that will make me smile and feel proud of being Singaporean even when I'm overseas haha.


NDP 1999 - Together
"Together we make a difference, our friends our families, we will share a special dream, together we feel the Singapore heartbeat"

The song for which I attended National Day Parade!  Okay, so if you do some math you will probably know my age right...haha...  Anyway I like the Chinese version of this song very much!  It is definitely one of the best translated NDP tune in my opinion!


NDP 2000 - Shine on me
"Stars and crescent shine on me, make us more than what we can be"

A very serene and peaceful song.  It didn't leave much of an impact on me (probably because I had bigger things to worry about during that year haha...), but nevertheless still a very melodious piece.


NDP 2001 - Where I belong
"I want the whole world to know, I want to shout it out loud, that this is where I know I belong"

I vaguely remember myself performing AV duties when this song was played during the school's NDP celebrations.  I even remember the exact location where I was standing and listening to this song!  It remains as one of my favourite NDP melodies!



NDP 2002 - We will get there
"Believing in trust, it must, be possible to overcome anything"

A Stephanie Sun (Sun Yan Zi) song!  There were even pre-determined moves to the song that was practiced by the entire school for National Day!  The Sino Exchange Group may remember how our Sino friends love this song and that we ended up singing it in Chinese with huge gusto on loop in a KTV lounge!


NDP 2003 - One united people
"We are rainbow of a thousand colours, lighting up the sky"

2003... SARS... Yup how can I forget?  As "class chair", I ended up being in charge of buying a dozen boxes of tissue paper for my classmates and recording everyone's temperature on a chart... Dark times indeed haha... If you don't remember the NDP 2003 song, then you should at least remember Gurmit Singh's "SARS is the virus, that I just want to minus" song!


NDP 2005 - Reach out for the skies
"Let's reach out for the skies, with dreams we soar up high"

A Taufik Batisah and Rui En song.  It marked a new era with our first Singapore Idol performing for National Day!  A time when mobile phones became a growing presence in Singaporean lives and payphones at the HDB void deck slowly became extinct...


NDP 2006 - My island home
"My home, wherever I may beee... I believeeeee, you will always be a part of me"

Another milestone year, hence not surprising that I can't really remember the tune or lyrics to this Kaira Gong song.  (Did I even have time to watch the parade??)  However, it is nice re-listening to it while writing this post!


NDP 2007 - There's no place I rather be
"So I crossed the skies and sailed the seas to be where I want to be"

All I remember about this song was how everyone criticised that many big names and famous places were mentioned, but there was no mention of the word Singapore at all.  Haha really ironic... Thankfully that year had an alternative backup song (see below)!


NDP 2007 - Will you
"Will you take this city and turn it from a place, to a home that greets you with smiles on every face"

One of the most catchy NDP songs!  Unlike the past NDP songs, this was probably one of the first that had a group of people from all walks of life to each sing a phrase in the entire music score.  It definitely makes you want to hum and bob along to the melody!


NDP 2008 - Shine for Singapore
"Have you heard a song, one that moved you one that makes you sing along"

Another peaceful rendition, no solid memories of it and not sure why.  Probably it comes with growing up and moving on in life.  I miss the mandatory sing-along sessions of primary and secondary school days...


NDP 2009 - What do you see
"See the moon and the stars, look how far we have come, look around at our faces, they shine brightly in the sun"

With the proliferation of Internet bloggers in Singapore, the song title became a joke of many such bloggers (e.g. Mr Brown).  Hence it was better known to Singaporeans as "Ri Kua Si Mi" (i.e. "What do you see" literally translated into Hokkien dialect).  Aside from that, its a pretty decent song by Electrico!


NDP 2010 - Song for Singapore
"I want to sing, sing a song for Singapore, with every generation, there is more to be grateful for"

Although I may have vague memories of this Corinna May's piece (and perhaps some of my year mates may agree with me), but I'm sure each NDP song strikes a chord in each different generation bringing back certain fond memories that happened during the year.


NDP 2011 - In a heartbeat
"In a heartbeat, this will always be, our people our country, this is our family"

At Esplanade recently, I heard a heartfelt rendition of this piece that was rearranged by the ITE Show Choir along with Rasa Sayang - Singapura.  The performance made me see the song in a new light!


NDP 2012 - Love at first light
"I love my city's lively ways, warm sunny days, sights and sounds, special tastes, that add up to this place"

Honestly, I may not remember the lyrics or tune, but I definitely remember the music video!  It was so cute!  I think I may have watched it several times thanks to the adorable little girl, Natanya Tan, who sang the duet with Olivia Ong.  She will make your heart melt haha, try it!



NDP 2013 - One Singapore
"Let our hearts sing, woh-oh-oh-woh-oh-oh-oh, together, together as one, we're so much more"

Haha the only thing I remember about this song was that the last bit of the music video was filmed at Lau Pa Sat.  The vibes that this video gives is like a Campus Superstar video with rap included.


NDP 2015 - Our Singapore
"A land to treasure right down to the core.  Our home, our heart, our Singapore"

This year's NDP song composed by Dick Lee and sung by JJ Lin reminding us of our pioneer generation who has helped made Singapore what it is today... It will take another few years before the verdict can be made, whether it remains as a household melody that stays in the hearts of Singaporeans~  Meanwhile, Happy National Day everyone!


Special mention - 细水长流
"问一声我的朋友何时再为我吹奏, 是否依旧是否依旧"

One of the songs that will leave a fuzzy feeling in your heart.  I still remember it as childhood song and it brings back fond memories also of performing the piece with the Guitarissimo Ensemble during our Strings Blended Concert!


Lastly, a warm salute to all those who will be working hard over the National Day Golden Jubilee weekend so as to ensure that the rest of us may enjoy the best SG 50 celebrations ever!  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment